Friday, September 23, 2011

How much does it cost to change your last name in California?

I got married in 2006 and I just never changed my last name. So now I want to go change it and i am wondering how much it actually costs. Does anyone know??? I live in los angeles caHow much does it cost to change your last name in California?I'm Getting Married and Want to Change my Last Name to my Spouse's Last Name. Do I Need to Go to Court?



It depends. Go to your local DMV office and your social Security office, and ask them whether you can change the name on your driver's license and social security card to your spouse's last name without a court order. Sometimes, they will change your name if you show them your marriage license or certificate and you won't have to go to court. But, it is possible they will tell you to get a court order, so be prepared for that. http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/oth



I know that you are already married but this is as close as I could come to your exact question on the California Self-Help Court Information site, therefore, follow the instructions and go to your local DMV and Social Security office with an original copy of your marriage certificate and see what they say. If they say you don檛 need a legal name change, the only cost will be the fees for replacing you existing identification documents.



If they say that you need to get a legal name change, the instructions for a legal name change in CA are on the same site that I posted the answer for this question. If you have any problems, post a questions asking how to get a legal name change in Los Angeles, CA and I will look it up for you.